Gulab Jamun is a favorite dessert at our house. The kids and hubby always fight over the last one. It's very easy to make and will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth!
Ingredients for the dough:
- 1 3/4 cups of powder milk (I use NIDO brand)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp yogurt
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 1 egg
- 4 Tbsp oil
For the syrup:
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 cups water
- 5 cardamons, cracked
- Bring, water, sugar and cardamons to boil and continue to boil while preparing dough.
- In a small sauce pan, heat canola oil on medium heat. About 1-2 inches of oil should be good.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all dough ingredients. I find it's easiest to use your fingers. The dough will appear dry at first, but keep combining.
- Roll dough into 1-inch diameter balls until smooth. This will make between 16 and 20 Gulab Jamun. Of course you can make them bigger or smaller to your liking.
- Fry Gulab Jamun, 4 at a time in medium hot oil. Make sure to stir continuously while frying. When they reach a medium brown color, remove from oil. Continue to do this until they are all fried.
- Add all the Gulab Jamun to the syrup, lower heat to medium, and allow to boil for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn heat off and allow to come to room temperature (or you can eat them hot if that's what you like).
- Refrigerate and serve with a little bit of syrup.